5 Steps to Reduce Anxiety
Anxiety is something that everyone experiences from time to time. It is a minor annoyance for some, but it can prevent you from enjoying your life. Here are five steps you can take now:
- Deep Breathing By taking slow, deep breaths, you can calm your nerves and mind. Breathe deeply, making sure that your stomach rises as you breathe. This is important because, when you are stressed, you breathe very shallow breaths that can actually continue or even worsen anxiety.
- Meditation Meditation has long been recognized for its relaxation-inducing power. Meditation can be done alone or with other helpful tools. Try audio clips from the internet. Relaxing atmospheric music can help you to clear your mind.
- Exercise Exercise is important for regulating your body and dispelling negative energy that you may be clinging to after a long day at the office or at school. You don’t always have to go to the gym. You can do some light exercises, stretch while you sit, or purchase some light weights from the store to help you start a new healthy routine at home.
- Fresh Air Just getting some fresh air can help to calm you too. Just take a five-minute break and step outside. Take deep breaths and try to not think of anything else during your break. The great thing about fresh air is that it’s all around us and it won’t cost you anything.
- Talk About It Talk to your family, friends or coworkers so they can help put things in perspective. Everyone gets anxious, and talking about it can start to relieve the pent-up stress. Stress can seem unmanageable at times, but you have the power to make some healthy choices in your life to reduce your anxiety. You also have the option of talking with a therapist for additional support.