Requesting School Records

Psychological evaluations, testing, assessment, Bay Area

At the beginning of psychological testing, Dr. Pratt asks parents to gather their child's school records. These records are necessary to complete a thorough and accurate report, and they help Dr. Pratt to better understand your child and their unique needs.

Dr. Pratt prefers school records in a digital format, such as PDFs. Records can be shared with Dr. Pratt through Please create a folder using your child's name and put all records in the folder. Then, make sure that Dr. Pratt is listed as an editor of the folder so he can download records easily. If you have paper records, Dr. Pratt can scan them and return them to you.

Dr. Pratt would like records from all schools that your child has attended.

Private schools vary widely in terms of records they keep. However, Dr. Pratt recommends asking for a copy of all records that they have on your child. Typically, records would include report cards, standardized testing and any accommodations plans.

Public School Records

For children enrolled in a public school, the parent or education rights holder has the right to request your child's cumulative record. Below is a sample list of records that you could request. Be sure to request it in writing. You are welcome to copy, paste and modify this list as needed for your letter.

Sample Record Request Letter

I am writing regarding my child, a student who is undergoing psychological testing with Dr. Brendan Pratt. I am requesting a copy of all educational records held by the school and school district. I am requesting a copy of the cumulative record, special education records, counseling files and all other records held by the school or district. That is, I would like all records including, but not limited to, the following:

  1. All report cards, progress reports and transcripts for my child.

  2. All standardized testing results.

  3. All attendance records, including SARB letters.

  4. All medical and school health records, health office logs and medication records.

  5. All notes regarding telephone calls, meetings and other minutes.

  6. All unsatisfactory reports, warning notices, detentions, suspensions and incident reports.

  7. All documentation related to SST, CST, 504, IEP or other school meetings and plans.

  8. All audio and/or visual recordings of school meetings, such as IEPs or 504 meetings.

  9. All assessment plans, requests and referrals for evaluation, and evaluation reports.

  10. All testing protocols from assessments completed in relation to an IEP or 504 plan.

  11. All pages for the print out for every test that was computer scored, including scores and interpretation and intervention suggestions.

  12. All notes of teachers, psychologists, speech and language therapists, resource specialists and other personnel who have provided services to, evaluated or otherwise have been involved in, or are responsible for, the provision of a free appropriate education for my child.

  13. All notes and reports of classroom observations of my child by any school or district personnel.

  14. All correspondence regarding my child to me or any other person, including emails, letters and memos.

  15. Any other records or documents that identify my child by name.

Thank you so much. Records could be provided to me, or they could be emailed directly to Dr. Pratt at I prefer to have records in a digital format, such as PDF files. Otherwise, I am happy to pick them up once they are available.