Requesting School Records
At the beginning of psychological testing, we ask parents to gather records that help us to better understand your child. You are welcome to loan us original records that we will return, or you can make a copy for us. We would like records from all schools that your child has attended.
We prefer to have records in a digital format, such as a PDF. They can be shared with us through www.dropbox.com. Please create a folder using your child's name and put all records in the folder. Make sure that we are listed as an editor of the folder so we can download records easily.
Private School Records
Private schools vary widely in terms of records they keep. However, we recommend asking for a copy of all records that they have on your child. Typically, records would include report cards, standardized testing and any accommodations plan.
Public School Records
For children in public school, the parent (or education rights holder) has the right to request the child's cumulative record. Below is a sample list of records that you could request. Be sure to request it in writing. You are welcome to copy, paste and modify this list as needed for your letter.
Sample Record Request Letter
I am writing regarding xx, a student who is undergoing psychological testing with Dr. Brendan Pratt. I am requesting a copy of all educational records held by the school and school district for this student. Records could be provided to me, or they could be emailed directly to Dr. Pratt at email@example.com. I am requesting a copy of this student’s cumulative record, special education records and counseling files. That is, I would like all records including, but not limited to, the following:
- All report cards, progress reports and transcripts.
- All standardized testing results.
- All attendance records include SARB letters.
- All medical and school health records, health office logs and medication records.
- All notes regarding telephone calls, meetings and other minutes.
- All unsatisfactory reports, warning notices, detentions, suspensions and incident reports.
- All documentation related to SST, CST, 504, IEP or other school meetings and plans.
- All audio and/or visual recordings of school meetings, such as IEPs or 504 meetings.
- All assessment plans, requests and referrals for evaluation, and evaluation reports.
- All testing protocols from all assessments completed of this student.
- All pages for the print out for every test that was computer scored, including scores any interpretation or intervention suggestions.
- All notes of teachers, psychologists, speech and language therapists, resource specialists and other personnel who have provided services to, evaluated or otherwise have been involved in, or responsible for, the provision of a free appropriate education for this student.
- All notes and reports of classroom observations of this student by any school district personnel.
- All correspondence regarding this student to the family or any other person, including emails, letters and memos.
- Any other records or documents that identify this student.
Thank you so much. I prefer to have records in a digital format, such as PDF files. Otherwise, I am happy to pick them up once they are available.